WHEN TO PHOTOGRAPH:
-Newborn sessions are recommended to be done before 2 weeks of age (preferably between 4-7 days) while they are still in that sleepy and curly stage. After two weeks of age, they tend to be disturbed more easily while sleeping and it is not as easy to get the true newborn poses and look. They can also become colicky or baby acne can start to flare.
– If you are breastfeeding please be mindful of what you
eat and drink for at least 24 hours prior to your session.
These foods and drinks should be avoided:
– excessive amounts of dairy
– Please give baby a bath the day of the session and give a good feeding right before you leave your house. We’re talking topped off and in that ‘milk drunk’ state. so they fall asleep with the car ride on your way here. We want baby to sleep very tightly. I suggest putting baby in button or zip front pajamas so we don’t need to pull anything over his or her head (that tends to make them unhappy!). We will start right when you get here. Keep baby in carries as my assistant will get baby out to keep baby asleep. My studio is Warm to keep baby sleepy (84degrees) so please dress in layers.
– Please bring plenty of extra bottles if you are bottle feeding. Babies tend to eat a bit more than normal during sessions because they are moved around a lot.
– Please bring pacifiers if baby will take one at all. They can help tremendously in transitioning between poses.
– If you have a sentimental item such as a hand knit blanket that you would like baby photographed with you are certainly welcome to bring it. I have a stash of great blankets, hats, wraps and props but if you have a special blanket, stuffed animal, etc, please bring it. We want to keep the focus on your new baby though – we don’t want to have trouble spotting him or her in a sea of props. 😉
– Please bring some light snacks to eat/drink in case you get hungry.
– Most sessions last about 2 hours but can take up to 2.5 hours with portraits and prop photos – babies are in charge! Please be prepared for this and don’t make any plans for the early afternoon. I expect that we’ll have breaks for feeding, soothing and diaper changes so please don’t stress. Babies feed off of our energy – if you’re anxious or stressed, they will have a tough time settling.
Sometimes things go just as planned and the session finishes in about 2 hours but that is completely up to your baby.
***I do not allow kids/siblings in the studio as they get bored easily and can create unnecessary noise and disturb the baby. If they are going to be in some of the portraits dad will need to bring them when we are ready for that part of the session.
Thank you so much and I look forward to creating memories that will last a lifetime.
Copyright 2018. Pixie Twins Photography. All Rights Reserved.